Sunday, February 19, 2012

One mans case study on the reality of buying only American

   I'm a new years resolutionist. Each year, with great enthusiasm, i choose to make a change in my life that will make me, what i believe to be, a better person. I see the resolution as a tool, a change conveniently implemented at the start of a new year where one can easily recall how long new, good behavior has been a habit. I don't always succeed. I usually do. The resolution is ones opportunity to strengthen discipline and resolve, to focus ones chi, if you will.
   New years 2012 I resolved to buy only American. Yeah. Good luck right? As a surfer, rock climber, plumber and, admittedly, an aging hipster replacing worn out tools, gear and stylish clothing with American made products will not be easy/possible.
   But look around you. Does anyone of us need to write another check of ANY size and mail it to another country, effectively eliminating that money from our economy forever? Our government can't dig us out of this hole. The banks can't dig us out of this hole. Our culture of need for hyper-inexpensive goods and shameless outsourcing over the last couple of decades has bled this country dry.
   Last week I payed $35.99 for an American made hammer instead of $5.99 for one made in Mexico.
That's a $30.00 check written and reinvested in the good 'ol USA. Nothing against Mexico, China, India or any other country.
   In a nut shell, my intent here is to explore the reality of buying only American made goods by American owned companys. It's going to be expensive and inconvenient and I might not always succeed. But at this point I'm willing to do without a good if it's not MADE IN USA. This should be interesting. My wet suits wearing out, and this iBook is not getting any younger.
   Maybe this will inspire some of my fellow Americans.

No comments:

Post a Comment